Sunday, May 16, 2010

Trial Run- Lawrance, KS

Friday afternoon we packed up and headed to Jayhawk country... Lawrance, KS.  We thought this would be a very smart idea.  And it was....  We just could have chosen a nicer weekend!  All Saturday it was raining and cold- never leaving the 50's!  We were supposed to get in a swim on Saturday but decided against it and stayed healthy and well.  I think I can speak for us all when I say that we were pretty anxious about the weather all day Saturday and not looking forward to a replay on Sunday morning.  We knew we didn't have a choice though.

Woke up Sunday morning and it was drizzling.  And continued to do so for about the first hour of our ride.  Temps were in the low 50's the entire workout.

We choose KS because everything we saw of KS was flat.  Uh.... we were WRONG!  Huge, monstrous climbs.  Don't get me wrong- we have trained in the hills but the hills in Columbia are steep, fairly short and have a downhill before the uphill!  These KS hills not very steep but very long climbs.  We are SO glad that we went and discovered it this weekend.  There isn't much we can do in 3 weeks to more prepare for this but at least we will be prepared with knowledge.  And we know we can do it!

By mile 50 my legs were done.  My legs felt so tired and I was counting down the minutes till the end.  I was also very stressed about how my legs could even run.  We got back to camp, put on our running shoes, downed some nutrition and off we went.  After biking your legs feel like you're doing a 15 minute mile so it didn't feel like we were going fast at all.  After the first mile or maybe two I could feel my feet and legs again.  I was very happy with the four miles.  Not easy at all but do able.  And we finished in great time.
Up until this weekend I have been very anxious about this race.  I don't feel like I'm ready.  I know I'm getting stronger and realize that I can most likely push though it but not feeling good about it.  My hold up is the 13.1 mile run.  And I must admit running is my favorite sport in this training.  It is just doing the 13.1 after my legs get off that bike!

Before race photo.  We look a little apprehensive!

DONE!!!! Looking a lot happier than the before picture! Our cheering crowd joined us for the picture!  

No comments:

Post a Comment