Thursday, May 27, 2010

Finally Getting Answers

May 27th 2010

Tuesday of this week I saw a dermatologist due to my doctors referral. Her thinking was that I had a skin issue. After about 3 seconds the derm doc told me "This is not a skin problem". He told me it was a bone, fascial, tendon issue in my foot. So I shared with him my rush for quick results & he exited the room & called Columbia Orthopedic Group. The next morning (to get an appointment that quickly was HUGE!!) I was visiting with Dr. Thornburg who believes I had/have Gout. He explained a little about Gout, which if you don't know, is basically joint arthritis.  We discussed doing a cortisone shot to help. That will probably take place next week. Most people who get Gout are older overweight men who drink too much beer & love their red meat. So I still haven't figured out where I fit in and what I can do to reduce my chance of getting this again. BUT. I am thrilled to finally found answers. It took 4 doctors. Bottom line is my foot is getting better. Slowly, more slowly than I would like, but I can see the light or rather the finish line in Kansas 70.3 :)

Today the bump on the top of my foot is a little better/smaller. Just a little. Still prefer to wear flip flops or nothing on my foot. Best news today, I GOT TO RUN!!! It was great. A little pain, but more like discomfort. Heidi & I are biking in the morning. That will be the real challenge, due to biking shoes fitting so tight. 

At this point I haven't thought much about what Gout is. I am focused on getting better and thrilled to be back training!! Amazing how you're perspective changes when your body says NO/STOP. I've never been so happy to wake up @ 4:52 am to run with Dad, Heidi & our friend Melissa. 4 miles felt easy today.

by: Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment