Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mental Toughness

I am beginning to have a little mental strength. Before this 70.3 journey I had zero mental strength when it came to triathlon. I listened too much to my body and mind.

We had a 3000 yard swim on Monday. I was dreading it! Why? Not sure....Just didn't want to do it. I began swimming with a  internal pep talk. Ok Heather you can do this. You'll feel so good when your done. 3000 yards is the longest you have ever swam...That sorta thing. Then I started counting my blessings. Each lap was a different way I am blessed. The laps flew by and my negative attitude turned around (within 2 laps).

On Sunday, about mile 33 my bottom really started bothering me (for reasons we won't share on this blog). And I really began let that pain control the rest of how I was feeling. So for 7 miles I had negative dialog with myself. Then something happened. Maybe a little mental strength crepted in.....I began to focus on the other parts of my body that felt good. Legs...check. Back....check. Heart rate....check. Feet....check. And before too many more miles I also found a position that made my butt feel good also. I also focused on the fact that 66 miles is a freakin long way and how lucky am I to be able to accomplish a ride of that length. Back to the blessings.

So my point is that during race day I will remain focused on positive things & use my new found mental strength to power through the tough & ugly miles! And trust our training plan & preparation.

Another confidence booster will be this Sunday's workout. Don't recall if Heidi mentioned this or not. We are going to the race site to do a practice tri on the race course. 1500 yd swim, 56 mile bike and short run, 4 miles I think. Even camping & doing a trial run of our pre race supper.

by: Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment