Monday, April 26, 2010

Sand Bagging.


MONDAY, APRIL 26, 2010

Sand Bagging.

I realized today that I have been sandbagging myself.  Here is how I discovered this:

I walk into the pool.  Heather is already on lap 25.  We knew we needed to time ourself today for our sprint tri this weekend.  We need to know how long it would take us to swim 440 yrds (9 laps) so we could put ourselves in the right swim category on sunday (you start w/ the people that swim your same speed).

I was late because I got to the gym and realized I didn't have my gym bag.  So, I had to drive 15 minutes back home, get it, and go back!  I wasn't feeling great this morning and just felt sluggish.

Okay, back to walking into the pool.  Heather greets me with a big smile and says eagerly that she just did 9 laps in under 9 minutes.  UGH!! Great for you but there isn't any way that I'm going to be fast this morning.  But her spirits lift me a little and I jump in and start going.  First lap I look down to click my lap counter and see I did it in 50 seconds.  Oh, I must have looked at that wrong.  I'm sure it's 58 seconds.  Look again.  50 SECONDS!!  I was swimming quickly but not breathlessly.  9 laps = 8 min 24 secs!  I was so psyched!

We also jumped on the treadmill for 2 miles after the swim.  I caught heather on her way off the treadmill and asked her what her time was.  I needed motivation!  What would have been a 20+ minute run was an 18:50 minute run!  I was running fast but again didn't feel I was doing anything I couldn't do.  I was pushing myself and it felt great!  Plus, I just knew I had to beat Heather :)  Doesn't happen often so I will take advantage of the times that I can!  She totally would have kicked me if she was racing right next to me!

So, I'm done sandbagging myself.  And realize the more I tell myself I can the more I can- and WILL!  I am very excited about Trizou- the sprint on Sunday.  The past few years I have only been trained to complete the race.  This year I am trained to race the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment