Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Race Report

I can't believe its taken me so long to write this out. Pictures take more time for me to upload, so this post may not have many pictures.

This race was simply amazing!! It was fun and fabulous! I enjoyed every minute (6 hours and 50 minutes)! I am ready to do this again, my family still needs more time to recover, but I'm doing another 70.3 race.

Since Heidi & I are in the same age group (30-34) we began the swim together. I was able to see Heidi's yellow jersey just ahead of me for the swim. Wasn't able to catch her, but felt good knowing where she was. I tapped her butt running by her transition spot. She thought I was ahead of her. She left on the bike a couple minutes ahead of me and it took me 26 miles to finally catch her. SHE WAS FLYING! Our coach & friend Amy texted us on Saturday with advice. She told us that the bike should never feel hard, but don't mess around either. So every so often I asked myself "is this hard? nope" Okay, keep up this pace. As you know, we had ridden this course 3 weeks prior  to race day and I could not believe how different I felt on race day! Amazing what happens when you let your legs & body taper for race day. Once I finally caught Heidi we rode together until the last 6 miles, when I pulled ahead. We joked & sang songs. We made up silly words and encouraged other cyclist. I enjoyed each mile.

Once again Heidi & I were in the transition area together before the run. We did not plan to race together and each of us agreed to have our OWN race! I ran out of T2 slightly ahead of Heidi, but just like the bike it wasn't long before we were together again. Neither of us waited for the other, but it was amazing & very special to complete most of this race with my sister & best friend. I felt really good on the run, which surprised me very much! We had never put all these distances together, so the run made me a little nervous. How would my legs feel. Would I have more energy to give? I struggle with heat & running and knew that would be a factor.  But thankfully my body had just what I needed to get across the finish line. Our dad finished before us (He started about 20 minutes ahead). And when we rounded the last corner and could see the finish chute...there was dad. Cheering his heart out. We crossed the finish line together, holding hands! Gave each other a HUGE HUG that lasted a while. I was afraid if she let go, I'll fall down :) A memory that will forever be burned in my brain. I still feel like it was yesterday and sometimes it feels like a dream.

One side note: Our local triathlon club, CMC (Columbia Multi-sport Club) was in the house!! BIG TIME!! We raced with many fellow club member & friends, but many many club members drove 3 hours to spectate & cheer their hearts out. On the run we passed "CMC Corner" in the campground 4 times. It was HUGE motivation & encouragement for us to see our friends & family!

I am beyond blessed & thankful for my family who has supported me & trained with me along this journey. I would never be doing triathlons if it were not for my dad! He got all this madness started and I'm so thankful he did!!


do we look nervous? we are! about to begin the swim!

she was GOOFY & FUN ALL DAY LONG!

Love you Dad!


HUGS!

ice cold water!!

No comments:

Post a Comment