Thursday, June 24, 2010

Heidi's Race Report

WARNING: This could be long.

You all know how nervous I was.  That finally subsided on friday morning.  I woke up feeling great and excited.  We packed up and headed to the race early afternoon- arriving at campsite around 4pm.  They had already started packet-pick up on friday and as we drove by it to get to our campsite I decided that I was going to prolong that as long as possible.  I knew once I picked up my packet and race information the nerves would come back.  And these nerves would be the real deal.  So, I pretended it was just a fun camping weekend with my family and friends.  Like Heather said, a bunch of our multisport friends came over to race & cheer us on.  One our two campsites we had 3 campers and about 6 tents by the end of Saturday.

The next morning (Sat) we had to do a little swim, bike, run.  15 min of each.  It was brutely hot but we did it early and it felt good.  We picked up our packet next.  I love to get the whole experience so Heather, Dad & I went through the process together (of course), shopped a little, took pictures, got a delicious smoothie, etc.  That was all fun so I was still excited.  The day passed by SO quickly.  We ordered italian take out so we wouldn't have to fight long going out to eat.  It was perfect.  I started getting nervous and anxious BIG TIME that evening.  I felt unorganized and stressed.  We decided to sleep all the kids in our camper and I slept in mom & dad's camper with my other teammates :).  I didn't get to bed until 10pm.... STRESSFUL!

RACE MORNING!!!  Up at 4:30am!  Forced a bagel, applesauce and some coffee down.  Packed a pb&j sandwich and got everything ready.  My stomach felt like it was race morning- AWFUL!  We had already racked our bike stuff (there were two transitions) so we ran our transition 2 stuff down and headed to the lake.  We had to be out of transition about 45 minutes before our swim start.  So, plenty of time to stand around and be nervous!  Thankfully, heather & i started in the same swim wave so we were together till the gun went off.

Off we went.  The first 1/2 of the swim felt fantastic.  Until I followed this red cap off course... back on course I go and keep on swimming.  The way back was a little brutal- sun in face and red caps (wave behind us catching up- guys 20-24) catching us and swimming on top of us and sometimes knocking us (heather got knocked really hard in the ear).  I thought I was WAY behind Heather at this point.  Out of the water only to hear a TON of cheering from my family & friends.  43 minutes.  I couldn't beleive I swam it that quickly. 

A minute into transition (or less) and Heather comes and smacks me on the butt!  I hurry up and leave T1 so I will be ahead of her.  I knew she'd catch me quickly (she's a great biker) on the bike so I hammered it.  The miles were going smoothly.  I am usually very happy on race day- and this was no different.  I was having a great time- making up songs, chatting with people, cheering for people and just kickin' it.  Mile 26 we turn around and I see her!  I yell to her "I've been waiting for you!!!".  hee, hee.  She catches me in another mile and we go back and forth for the next 20-25 miles. Having a blast!  The course wasn't easy but it sure didn't feel anything like it had 3 weeks earlier when we came to "test" ride it.  Heather lost me on the last few miles.

She was still in transition (and it really is amazing that our transition spots were so close- 2000 racers) but left quickly when I got there.  More cheering from my fabulous family.  I saw her on the 1 mile turn around and then again at mile 3 water station.  She had to stop for the bathroom so I caught up to her.  We both made a pact that we wouldn't hold back for each other.  We would each race our race.  But it ended up we pulled each other at the exact times we needed to and ran the rest of the 10 miles together.  We were told by a few racers that we had "way too much energy".  We got a high from cheering others on, joking with others and just having fun.  It is the reason why I love to race.  And seeing our family & friends at the CMC corner was the highlight of our run.  And we finished a fabulous run- and experience- hand in hand through the finish line.

What a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment